I got tagged by the lovely miss_mummy_life to write a blog post about rocking motherhood. I’m really glad she tagged me as it’s made me look for the positives in my motherhood journey so far and give myself a pat on the back! (It’s far too easy to be constantly critical).
- I’ve kept him alive (and thriving) for over six months! When he was a newborn I was constantly in a state of ‘is he still breathing?’ ‘Is he starving?’ So to have got this far and have him still in one piece I must be #rockingmotherhood right?
- I’m still breastfeeding. I set out to feed him until he was 6 months old… and I’ve reached, and surpassed it, Yey! (Now my new goal is nine months). It’s not been a walk in the park: having people constantly saying ‘how long do you HAVE to do that for?’ And ‘don’t you want to get back to NORMAL?’ Ummm, I don’t have to, I WANT to and this is NORMAL! Not to mention the constant worry he’s not getting enough; or my milk is running out; or the nightmare that is expressing; or going dairy free. But we’ve made it through, and I love it. I’ll always remember my proudest being mummy moment, going for his first week check up and he’d put ON weight (mummy’s magic liquid gold!)
- I’ve made some amazing mummy friends from attending my antenatal classes. I have to thank my baby for that. I can’t imagine now the mummy’s I see week in, week out no being in my life, and they wouldn’t be if it weren’t for him – thank you. I’m pleased I’ve known them from the bump days as I’m not sure I’d have had the confidence to go and find new friends as a newbie first time mummy and my experience could’ve been very different.
- We’ve had so many great experiences during my maternity leave: baby Pilates, baby massage, play group, baby cinema, Halloween and Christmas parties, holidays, trips to the park, sensory swimming, just lazing at home… I feel like I’ve made the most of every moment we’ve had together. I will not let work now get in the way (we have so much more to come).
- We are raising him OUR way and as a team. Everyone’s given us their opinions family, friends, health care professionals (whether asked for or not)…but we’ve always trusted our parenting instincts and we have a gorgeous, happy and healthy little boy. #rockingmotherhood #rockingfatherhood